Welcome to Highland Archaeology Festival 2016
The festival is provided by the Highland Council and runs over two weeks each October to celebrate the heritage of the Highlands. Whether you are a seasoned archaeologist or a complete beginner, the festival will let you explore an amazing range of places and collections. The programme includes a wide array of events provided by local experts and national organisations and includes walks, talks, tours, workshops, exhibitions and much more – all focussing on Highland heritage from prehistoric times to the 20th century. There’s something to suit everyone and many of the events are free!
This year the festival runs from 1st to 16th October, with our flagship event, the Recent Archaeological Discoveries and Research Conference, on the weekend of 15th and 16th October at the Highland Council Chamber in Inverness.
New this year:
- This website!
- A calendar of events
- HAF 2016 Object Trail with over 30 participating museums.
- Keynote speakers to launch the festival and the conference. This year we have Richard Oram to open the festival on 30th September and Rod McCullagh to launch the conference on Friday 14th October, both events at Highland Council Chamber, Highland Council, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness.
- An afternoon of hands-on workshops on 14th October at the Highland Council Chamber.
- Poster sessions at the conference.
- Book the conference and pay online.
- A list of self-guided trails you can explore anytime.
Our online calendar will show you the most up to date listings or you can download our Events Guide (copies also available in the Document Library of the website). Printed copies of the Events Guide will be available at Highland Council Libraries, Service Points, various tourist information sites and venues or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have added HER links to some event listings and you can follow these to find out more about the sites where the events are taking place.
Recent Archaeological Discoveries and Research Conference
The annual conference takes place on 15th & 16th October this year. View our conference programme.
We very much welcome feedback about the Festival. Click here for a feedback form or download one from the Document Library, and then post or email back to us. Or click here for a short Survey Monkey online form (note that you will need to input one Survey Monkey form per event).
Wanted: your photographs from HAF events. Please email photos to email@example.com (ensure any people depicted in them are happy to be put on the website).